Thursday, July 30, 2009

Whole Lotta Shimmering Going On


A mysterious phenomenon is happening at the library this summer. Three different novels with the title Shimmer are being published and added to the library's collections, all within a few weeks of each other.



I probably would not have noticed this strange occurrence, but by chance I read a review of David Morrell's The Shimmer which described how his book is based on the Marfa Lights. This caught my attention because I've been to Marfa, Texas.

On a cold, blustery night in the early 90s, my family and I huddled together on a roadside viewing platform near Marfa, hoping to spot the famous Lights. We saw some automobile headlights shimmering in the distance, but not much else. It was a fun trip, though. I got a neat pamphlet, and had some good Mexican food at Carmen's Cafe!

No comments:

Post a Comment