Monday, February 13, 2012

"Attachments" by Rainbow Rowell

With Valentine's Day tomorrow, how can I resist the chance to review something romantic? I recently picked up and devoured Attachments, a first novel by newspaper columnist Rainbow Rowell.

At first glance, the plot summary sounds more creepy than romantic, but by the last page I was filled with the warm glow of Happily Ever After. It's 1999, and Lincoln has finally decided to leave school (after two Master's degrees) for the exciting world of IT. He's hired by the local newspaper (on the Nebraska side of the border with Iowa) to work the late shift. His primary responsibility? To monitor employee use of the new internal email for inappropriate behavior, including that of Beth (movie reviews) and Jennifer (an editor). Lincoln falls for Beth, sight unseen, and what happens next would be spoilers.

The characters are very well done, and just seemed like the sort of people I'd enjoy hanging out with on a Friday night. It might just be my first hand experience with life as a late 20-something, but this book was a nice mix of relateable and escapist. While I'm typically not a fan of movie adaptations, I could see Attachments as a very cute rom-com.

~Sarah, Adult Services

No comments:

Post a Comment