Thursday, April 26, 2012

Poem in Your Pocket Day

In celebration of National Poetry Month, Thursday, April 26 is Poem in Your Pocket Day!

Join us by selecting a poem you love and carrying it with you to share with co-workers, family, and friends. You can also share your poem selection on Twitter using #pocketpoem or post to our Facebook & G+ pages.

If you need help finding that perfect poem, Poets.org has a great selection that you can browse by subject or author, or choose from their print-ready PDFs. Or stop the library and pick one up from our display! You can also sign up to receive a poem a day by email, download the mobile poetry reader app Poem Flow and explore poetry events in your state.

While I can't advocate eating poetry, here's one of my favorite poems from former Poet Laureate of the U.S. and University of Iowa  graduate Mark Strand:

Eating Poetry

Ink runs from the corners of my mouth.
There is no happiness like mine.
I have been eating poetry.

The librarian does not believe what she sees.
Her eyes are sad
and she walks with her hands in her dress.

The poems are gone.
The light is dim.
The dogs are on the basement stairs and coming up.

Their eyeballs roll,
their blond legs burn like brush.
The poor librarian begins to stamp her feet and weep.

She does not understand.
When I get on my knees and lick her hand,
she screams.

I am a new man.
I snarl at her and bark.
I romp with joy in the bookish dark. 

No comments:

Post a Comment