From Allison's staff review of Eden by Keary Taylor, to the excitement around 50 Shades of Grey by E.L. James, authors, readers, and publishers are discovering that success and great reads can be found outside the traditional sources. Of course, the stories we hear about are those authors who've made the jump to traditional publishing like Amanda Hocking, author of young adult paranormal romances and self-made millionaire.
Read Alike Suggestions for Amanda Hocking
The Frenzy by Francesca Lia Block 17 year-old Liv has had more than your typical teenage struggles and concerns. When she turned 13 she discovered that she's not as human as she thought.
Evermore by Alyson Noel The first book in the Immortals series, who discovered her psychic powers after a tragic car accident.
Tithe by Holly Black Sixteen year-old Kaye has seen faeries all her life, which is just another way that marks her as different, like her rock musician mother. Then she saves a mysterious young man who claims to be a knight of the faerie court.
Wings by Aprilynne Pike, Fifteen year-old Laurel discovers, after growing wings, that she is a faerie.
Read Alike Suggestions for 50 Shades of Grey
You may also want to check out these discussions where readers have suggested their favorite erotica authors: Dear Author and Read React Review
The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty by Anne Rice (writing as A.N. Roquelaure)
Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey
Saddled and Spurred by Lorelei James
Smooth Talking Stranger by Lisa Kleypas
Other Books Available at Carnegie-Stout that started out on the internet
- John Dies at the End by David Wong: a darkly comic horror novel originally published as an online serial
- Hark a Vagrant by Kate Beaton, comics: often featuring historical figures
- 5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth by Matthew Inman: comics, often silly, NOT for children
- Julie and Julia by Julie Powell: cookbook and memoir (also a movie!)
- Your Hate Mail Will Be Graded by John Scalzi: from the blog of the popular science fiction author
- Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern: a collection of tweets from the popular Twitter account
- 420 Characters by Lou Beach: a collection of microfiction originally published on Facebook
- Escape from Cubicle Nation by Pamela Slim: advice from a blog on careers
- Pioneer Woman by Ree Drummond: memoir and cookbook