Friday, August 8, 2014

Mini Staff Review: The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

When a patron made a point of telling me how much she'd loved reading The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin this summer, I knew I had to check it out. I'd read several positive reviews saying that this was a perfect book for book lovers, which always makes me cautious. There's nothing less fun than being the one person to not like the book everyone else loves, but I'm happy to say Zevin's writing is witty and charming, and the characters are engaging. Of course, I'm a sucker for short stories, and the book is organized around a love of short stories. Add in a character with a love of nail polish, and I was hooked. Hopefully, it's not too much of a spoiler to warn that you might need some Kleenex by the end of the book.

As I was reading I was reminded of the literary romances in Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows. If you haven't picked up either of these books yet, I highly recommend them as well!

~Sarah, Adult Services

No comments:

Post a Comment