Wednesday, July 5, 2017

#ComicsWednesday: Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 by David Petersen


When I was in fourth grade, I discovered the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. I devoured them, reading what my library had and then begging for my own copies. I continued to read them until the last book was published in 2011, just after Jacques had passed away. When I needed a medieval fantasy series about sword-wielding mice to fill the Redwall-shaped hole in my heart, Mouse Guard stepped in. Specifically, the first volume: Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 with story and art by David Petersen.

In this volume we are introduced to the characters and world of the Mouse Guard series. Our main trio, Lieam, Kenzie, and Saxon, are members of the eponymous Mouse Guard. The story involves espionage, intrigue, crabs, a mouse with a peg leg, a giant snake, and much more. The world-building in this series is, in my opinion, perfect. Petersen's art creates a rich and vibrant atmosphere, and his style is fairly unique.

The Mouse Guard series by David Petersen is one of the best comic series I have ever read, hands down. The art is beautiful, the story is intriguing, and the world is immersive. This comic is truly an all-ages comic, though the publisher recommends it for ages 8 and up. You can find it in both the general Graphic Novels section and the children's Graphic Novels section here at Carnegie-Stout. And if you like Mouse Guard, do me a favor and check out Redwall, won't you?

-- Libby, Youth Services


No comments:

Post a Comment