Monday, February 4, 2019

CSPL Reader of the Month: Thea


The CSPL Reader of the Month for February is one of the Recommendations Librarians, Thea Dement. Thea's verve for adventure, fantasy, and thought-provoking reads come through in her answers to these questions. 

Q & A with Thea

Q. What is the best book you’ve read this year?

A. I haven’t read any noteworthy titles yet in 2019, but my favorite books from 2018 were both from series that I enjoy (and have read every book in).
The first is The Mortal Word by Genevieve Cogman. It is the 5th book in the Invisible Library Series. This series combines the best of fantasy, science fiction, steampunk, and of course books. It follows Irene, a librarian that works for The Library, which is a place that balances the forces of good and evil by collecting books from worlds controlled by each side. The coolest part of this series is the fact that the librarians are really more like secret agents and get to go on a variety of dangerous missions to help save the world. 

The second is The Demon Crown by James Rollins, which is the 13th book in the Sigma Force Series. This series follows a secret government agency that works under DARPA and goes on missions to save the world from various threats. The reason I love this series is that Rollins combines actual events, historical knowledge, and scientific facts into very plausible scenarios that are both terrifying and exhilarating (and hopefully remain fiction!). The Demon Crown features an ancient species from prehistoric times being revived using genetic engineering and wreaking havoc upon the world (no, not dinosaurs!). Sigma Force races against the clock to not only survive but neutralize the threat before it destroys mankind. Each book is action-packed and will leave you on the edge of your seat!

Q. What’s your ideal reading environment (location, sound, snacks, etc.)?

A. I enjoy reading pretty much anywhere. I’ve been known to even walk down the street reading (although I do look when crossing at intersections!). My ideal reading environment would include a comfy chair (or bed) that I can read in for hours without getting uncomfortable and the sound of a purring cat (which is most likely sleeping on me somewhere). 

Q. What book are you most excited about reading next and what about it is most exciting?

A. I’m most excited about reading a bunch of fantasy, science fiction, mystery, and action books this year as well as expanding my reading tastes to be able to give better recommendations to others. I also enjoy keeping up-to-date on a number of non-fiction subjects including business and self-help books.

Specific titles I’m looking forward to include the 14th book in the Sigma Force series by James Rollins, Crucible, and the latest Thomas Harris book, Cari Mora. Both of these books are scheduled to come out later this year so I’m impatiently waiting for them! 

One title that is out that I’m looking forward to reading is called Deadly Rising by Jeri Westerson. It is the 2nd book in the Booke of the Hidden Series. It is a fun combination of fantasy and a little romance and follows Kylie, a girl who inadvertently releases demonic creatures in her small town and must work to re-capture them. I really enjoyed the first book so I’m looking forward to seeing what happens in this one!

Q. What book do you think more people should read and why do you think they should read it?

A. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. This book is a literary classic and in my opinion should be required reading for everyone. I think more people should read it because it draws many parallels to today’s world and would help answer a lot of questions people have about why things are going the way they are. Even though it was written in 1957, you could easily replace the events in the book with current events, which is very unsettling. Rand gives a vision of what will happen if things continue to go the way they are. Perhaps if more people read the book and understood its implications there would be a greater push to change the society we live in.  

Q. What book has been the most challenging for you to read? How did it challenge you?

A. I have a habit of reading negative utopia books. These are books that look at a futuristic society that generally appears to be wonderful but in reality is horrible for its citizens, who are generally living in some form of slavery. Each one I read is challenging in its own way, mostly because of the parallels I can draw between the book and the real world. I like to read them in order to get a sense of how society could go terribly wrong, in the hopes of doing my part to ensure that it doesn’t become a reality during my lifetime. There are also many life lessons that can be learned from these kinds of books, many of which are challenging to accept, especially when they challenge one’s current worldview.  

Q. When do you decide to stop reading a book?

A. I used to read every book all the way through, but I’ve learned that this isn’t necessary. Now, I usually give a book a few chapters and if I’m not feeling it by then I stop reading it. There are way too many good books that I need to read!

For more titles, check out Thea's Favorite Books list!

No comments:

Post a Comment