Thursday, January 2, 2020

C-SPL Reader of the Month: Evan Quade

https://catalog.dubuque.lib.ia.us/cgi-bin/koha/opac-shelves.pl?op=view&shelfnumber=1819When not reading, our first C-SPL Reader of the Month for 2020, Evan Quade, writes poems, sings karaoke, and drinks coffee in just about every café he finds. He also works at a car dealership and is admin to the Facebook group, BookAholic Café.


(See the past Reader of the Month posts here)

Evan's Reading Interests

Read beyond your vision. That is my invented philosophy related to books. You control the image the story lays out. It is your journey and yours alone. This is why I love fantasy! I'll read other genres too, but fantasy really sparks my imagination.

Q & A with Evan

Q. What is the best book you have read within the last year (or ever)?

A. The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho! It teaches everyone who reads it to be their own kind of original— “a personal legend,” as the book puts it.

Q. What is your ideal reading environment (location, sound, snacks, etc.)?

A. When not reading in the comfort of my reading corner at home, I like reading surrounded by nature or at a café. I like ambience or gentle, soothing music (whether by piano, guitar, harp, or flute).

Q. What book are you most excited about reading next and what about it is most exciting?

A. The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson from The Stormlight Archive series. The series is part of an interconnected universe known as the Cosmere and offers the ultimate developed magic system. They are huge books, but worth it. Don't let the page length intimidate you!

Q. What book do you think more people should read and why do you think they should read it?

A. Go with books by Brandon Sanderson. I can bug every reader about that. He has the talent of world building, well-constructed characters, and of course different magic elements. If you are a fantasy nut, it's right up your alley. If you don't want to jump right into his lengthier books, you can start small. My personal starting book was Mistborn. Carnegie Stout Public Library's Geek Out! Book Club read that during 2019, so shout out to the host and librarian, Angie, for picking that one!

Q. What book has been the most challenging for you to read? How did it challenge you?

A. The Dark Artifices trilogy by Cassandra Clare. They are a sequel to The Mortal Instruments series. There was a new story line and a new set of characters, but familiar elements from the previous series were cluttered and made the three books big and chunky. I enjoyed them, don't get me wrong, but they took a lot of hard work.

Q. When do you decide to stop reading a book? (In other words, do you read every book to the last page, or is there a moment when you decide to stop?)

A. It really depends. It depends what your inner vibe tells you and whether the vision of the story is bright and clear. I am a curious person and always want to know the whole story.

Q. Do you remember when your love for reading began?

A. When I discovered Harry Potter. I was a little boy when the first book in the series and I crossed paths, and now here I am a lifetime reader, thanks to these revolutionary books. I was born to be a reader.

Check out more of Evan's Favorite Books 

Apply to be the next C-SPL Reader of the Month!

No comments:

Post a Comment