Monday, February 3, 2020

C-SPL Reader of the Month: Cynthia Nelms-Byrne

https://catalog.dubuque.lib.ia.us/cgi-bin/koha/opac-shelves.pl?op=view&shelfnumber=1854&sortfield=title
Cynthia Nelms-Byrne, our February C-SPL Reader of the Month is a "mostly" retired artist, who loves spending her free time watching films, or (especially) reading.

(See the past Reader of the Month posts here)

Q & A with Cynthia

Q. Can you tell us a little about your reading interests? 

A. I just like good writing, and read mostly fiction that has compelling characters and an unusual plot. I don’t like romances, stuff like 50 Shades of Grey, etc., but I do
like the classics, like Madame Bovary, and everything by Carson McCullers.


Q. What is the best book you have read within the last year (or ever)?

A. Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead, or any other book by Olga Tokarczuk.

Q. What is your ideal reading environment (location, sound, snacks, etc.)?

A. No sound at all, in my big chair or in bed, sunflower seeds for snacks.

Q. What book are you most excited about reading next and what about it is most
exciting?


A. This House is Haunted by John Boyne. I just like everything I’ve read by him, and I’m anxious to find this one.

Q. What book do you think more people should read and why do you think they
should read it?


A. Anything by Jose Saramago, whose Blindness is an astounding look at a world
collapsing because almost everyone goes blind. Any of his books are great.

Q. What book has been the most challenging for you to read? How did it challenge
you?


A. One I’m reading now— 1491 by Charles Mann, which is about archeological research in the
Americas before and after Columbus. All those Mayan and Incan names and words
are making my brain fry.

Q. When do you decide to stop reading a book? (In other words, do you read every
book to the last page, or is there a moment when you decide to stop?)


A. If something just isn’t engaging me a few chapters in, I quit. As I get older, I’m
ready to quit reading more quickly, as there isn’t enough time to read everything.

Q. Do you remember when your love for reading began?

A. Yes! When I read Alice and Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass at
age 7 and was so proud of myself.



Check out more of Cynthia's Favorite Books

Apply to be the next C-SPL Reader of the Month! 

No comments:

Post a Comment