Saturday, August 29, 2020

C-SPL Reader of the Month: Kate and Sarah Faford-Johnson

About Kate & Sarah 

 
Kate and Sarah Faford-Johnson love spending time outdoors and enjoy kayaking, hiking, and biking. They usually have their two dogs, Bing Bong and River, along for the adventure. They are both beginning a new adventure in the fall as they relocate to New Mexico. 

Kate loves a good dystopian novel and balances that out with readings on Buddhism, meditation, and healthy living. Sarah has a true nerd-love of graphic novels and well written science fiction. She also has a deep love of anything written by the great early conservationists, like John Muir and Aldo Leopold.

(See the past Reader of the Month posts here) 

Q&A with Kate and Sarah

 

Q. What is the best book you have read within the last year (or ever)?

Kate: The past year would probably be Dark Matter by Blake Crouch and best ever would be The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood.

Sarah: That’s a toss up between Kurt Vonnegut’s Breakfast of Champions and Tal M. Klein’s The Punch Escrow.

What is your ideal reading environment (location, sound, snacks, etc.)?

Kate: I like reading outdoors in a cozy environment. A hammock in the backyard, a nice chair on the beach, anything that gets me outside is ideal. But if that's not possible, I will gladly take a chai latte and a quiet corner at Charlotte’s.

Sarah: I prefer a comfy chair and a quiet environment. As long as I have those two I am happy.

What book are you most excited about reading next and what about it is most exciting?

Kate: I’m excited to read (or listen to) The Expanse series by James S.A. Corey. We’re planning on listening to the audiobooks through the Overdrive app on our road trip to New Mexico this fall.

Sarah: I agree with Kate. We love The Expanse television series and I am excited to check out the books to see how they compare.

What book has been the most challenging for you to read? How did it challenge you?

Sarah: I think Cormac McCarthey’s The Road has been the most challenging book I have read recently. It was just such an emotionally challenging book to read and without giving too much away, it just felt so real. It was an excellent book and I applaud him for making me feel so uncomfortable.

When do you decide to stop reading a book? (In other words, do you read every book to the last page, or is there a moment when you decide to stop?)

Sarah: Kate will give up on a book when she is not interested or it just is not the right time. I have a horrible habit of believing every book is worthy of my time. I cannot give up on a book, no matter how terrible, until the final page.

Do you remember when your love for reading began?

Kate: My love of reading began in elementary school. We had a reading challenge that I was really into. It started with Goosebumps and Harry Potter books, and in high school, I got more into non-fiction books about Buddhism and books about multicultural issues, other social issues, and environmental issues.

Sarah: I was fortunate to grow up in a household where my parents really encouraged my innate curiosity about everything. They took me to get a library card as soon as I was old enough and even set up a dedicated corner in my bedroom to serve as my personal library, complete with a reading square carpet just like the one we had in my kindergarten class. I loved reading about everything I encountered and that passion has continued throughout my life.

Check out Kate & Sarah's Favorites book list! 

Apply to be the next C-SPL Reader of the Month!

No comments:

Post a Comment