Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Bingeworthy TV: Farscape

When I was in high school and college I watched Star Trek: The Next Generation all the time. I think that was when I realized how much I love shows about space. When I discovered the Sci-Fi Channel (now SyFy) I was thrilled. Sci-Fi introduced me to Farscape. If you can get past the annoying opening theme song*, Farscape is a wild ride of SciFi goodness.


Modern day astronaut John Crichton (Ben Browder) accidentally flies into a wormhole and ends up in the far reaches of space on a living ship called Moya. On the same day, Moya picks up another stranger by the name of Aeryn Sun (Claudia Black). Moya was being used as a prison transport under the control of the Peacekeepers. The prisoners on Moya take over the ship and as a result are on the run from the Peacekeepers. Farscape is interesting because the alien makeup and prosthetics are a product of The Jim Henson Company. In fact Farscape was produced by The Jim Henson Company and Hallmark Entertainment. Two of the main characters, Rygel and Pilot, are puppets created by Henson's Creature Shop.


Farscape is odd, even in space opera terms. Some of the episodes seem to make no sense, but watching the crew grow closer and change due to their relationships with one another is entertaining.  Ben Browder and Claudia Black have amazing chemistry, so much so that when the two actors showed up on later episodes of Stargate: SG-1** I was crazy excited. The series was planned for five seasons, and was cancelled after four. Fortunately a three-hour TV movie, Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars, was made to wrap up the story.



*There is some debate as to the annoying opening theme song. Some feel that the opening song is great, it is the closing credits song that is annoying.  You be the judge :)  

**Speaking of Stargate: SG-1, that series had a 200th-episode parody of all kinds of science fiction space shows, and one scene had other actors playing versions of John Crichton and Aeryn Sun.  Additionally, when Claudia Black's character on SG-1 first walks into Stargate Command she sees Ben Browder's character and says, "I know we haven't met. That I'm sure I would remember." Browder's character responds, "Nice outfit."  Yes, I'm a SciFi-show nerd.

~ Amy, Adult Services

No comments:

Post a Comment