Friday, August 2, 2019

C-SPL Reader of the Month: Abby Schrup

https://catalog.dubuque.lib.ia.us/cgi-bin/koha/opac-shelves.pl?op=view&shelfnumber=1638&sortfield=titleThe August C-SPL Reader of the Month, Abby Schrup, is an animal lover (owner of two cats and a dog from rescue centers) who—besides reading—loves taking pictures, crafting, and gardening. In her interview below, Abby shares her love for Harry Potter, why she can’t read print before bed, and more.

Q. Can you tell us about your reading interests in general?

A. My all-time favorite books are the Harry Potter series. I picked up the first one at my school library in 1999. I eagerly anticipated each successive book. I remember choosing Chamber of Secrets in paperback as a prize for the C-SPL summer reading program. My two best friends and I would dress up and go to the midnight release of the books and movies. Order of the Phoenix was the first book I remember purchasing with my own money. As soon as I got home from Borders I would devour the new book in one sitting. Nobody else in my family read the books, so when my youngest sister was old enough, I got her into them with the promise that after she read each book we would discuss it and watch the movie together. She ended up reading them quickly enough that we were able to go see the last movie in theater together when I came home to visit from college. I cannot listen to my current book before bed (I would stay up the whole night and finish it). So I turn on a timer and listen to Harry Potter. I have done this for 10 years and have lost count of how many times I have read the series. Proud moment: I recently got 1st place out of 59 teams at the inaugural Backpocket Brewery Harry Potter trivia.

Q. Do you remember when your love for reading began?

A. I have always enjoyed reading. When I was younger, my mom would take books away from me when I got in trouble. I always carried an extra book with me too, just in case I finished one while out. When I got my driving permit, I realized I didn’t know my way around Dubuque at all since I had always read books while in the car!

Q. What is the best book you have read within the last year?

A. The best books I have read so far this year include: Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate and Five Presidents by Clint Hill.

Q. What is your ideal reading environment (location, sound, snacks, etc.)?

A. My ideal reading environment is listening to an audiobook while I am gardening or working on my craft projects. If reading a hard copy, I tend to read it under the covers with a flashlight and stay up most of the night. I often think, “just one more chapter…” and suddenly it’s 3:30 a.m.

Q. What book are you most excited about reading next and what about it is most exciting?

A. I am looking forward to A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult. Her "ripped from the headlines" books are hard to put down and make for quick reads. I am 12th in line for the audiobook.

Q. What book do you think more people should read and why do you think they should read it?

A. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas is a must-read. The book is YA Fiction but is highly relevant because it is about police brutality, racial profiling, and social injustice.

Q. What book has been the most challenging for you to read? How did it challenge you?

A. Room by Emma Donoghue was a difficult one to read. Not only is it about kidnapping, captivity and rape, the book is told from the perspective of a young boy, so his descriptions of things and his voice can be confusing.

Q. When do you decide to stop reading a book?

A. Life is far too short and my ‘to be read’ list is far too long to continue books I don’t like. I have no problem not finishing a book if I don’t like it.


Check out more of Abby Schrup's Favorite Books

-----------------------

See the past C-SPL Reader of the Month blog posts here.

Want to be the Next C-SPL Reader of the Month? Apply here.

No comments:

Post a Comment